Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Venice Beach is a melting pot

Yes, Venice Beach is a melting pot. It is literally hot and there is pot. If you have not been, it is a circus-like boardwalk that is filled with performers, artists, vendors, and everything else you can dream up.



I got approved to be able to promote my Smile Project on the boardwalk. Because there are about 300 vendors and 100 spots, they use a lottery system on Tuesday mornings where they pick the winners for the week. Two raffles are done, I entered into both: The first one, and the more desirable win, WEEKEND spots- and I got one. I-42, it is between American Apparel and the Kush Doctor. I say, well done. The second drawing, I did not get chosen for. It is the WEEKDAY spots, but I found out that a lot of people do not go on the weekdays, and as long as I have a permit, it is cool to set up on any empty spot. So that is good news!



I will be asking people on the boardwalk the same simple question, "What is the one thing that will always make you smile?"



And, of course because you have to sell something...I will be selling very simple smile bands. Originally I made one for myself and a few friends on a whim, as non-complain bracelets. It was in an effort to recognize the amount of complaining that we did on a daily basis. It is more than you would think. Every time you catch yourself complaining, you switch your non-complain bracelet to your other arm. It works and I highly recommend it. But back to business. I liked how it looked so I now always wear it, sans complain methodology behind it. They are fast, wearable, colorful, and simple to make. Perfect! I am going to promote them as smile bands and use them with an opposite underlying premise. Whenever you find yourself smiling, you switch the wrist the band is on. I think it will make people recognize all of the happiness that fills their days - that usually goes unnoticed and unappreciated.

Pictures coming soon...

I will also be trying out an interesting promotional tactic. It requires a story, so I hope you enjoy.

When I was in NY last week, I went to a Jordin Sparks concert, yes a Jordin Sparks concert. I knew two of her songs and the tickets were free. She went on two hours late. Who does she think she is, Kelly Clarkson! Nonetheless, there was a silver lining to the concert. Besides for the great company, there was a feisty little booth set up promoting the slogan - "Texting Kills." We held up Mike and Ikes and they snapped a photo. Everyone who stepped one foot into the venue was immediately taken into the booth. After you took the picture, they handed you a card that said the picture would be uploaded onto facebook the next day. Then came the kicker, "You can tag yourself." PEOPLE WENT WILD FOR THIS. Mike and Ikes, Jordin Sparks, and death by texting...thrilling combination, right.

But of course, I am now tagged in my picture from that night.



So I am going to try this out. In addition to recording video, I am going to take pictures of the people that enter my booth. I am going to upload them to Facebook in order to increase the amount of people "liking" the Sponsor a Smile Facebook page. In the photo, people will hold up a white board declaring what makes them smile.

My first official day is Saturday the 26th and that gives me about a week of practice before the busiest weekend of the year on the Venice Boardwalk. It is the 4th of July, Americas B-day, Independence day, Happy Birthday good ol' red white and blue. So I have one week of boardwalk prep, and then it is off to the races...

No comments:

Post a Comment