Sunday, June 6, 2010

Luck is on my side!

I came to Brussels this weekend simply because I wanted to. I get here and find out that this is THE weekend to be here. There is a festival called EuroFeria that celebrates Spanish culture. It happens only once a year at the foot of the Atomium.




The Atomium forms the shape of a unit cell of an iron crystal, magnified 165 billion times. It was built for the World's Fair in 1958 and was originally planned to remain standing for only six months. However, it soon became a symbol not only of the World's Fair, but of modern architecture and Brussels.

Back to Euroferia! People spoke Spanish! I was so happy - even though I am no expert, I feel comfortable with the language and I am able to communicate the necessary words and phrases. The festival goes on for four days and gets over 200,000 visitors. The next "Dose of Happiness" will show all of the amazing-ness that I experienced yesterday!



Currently I am staying at a great hostel in a very central part of the city.




Free WiFi, cool people, clean rooms, and comfy beds. My room has a total of 6 people, five of us are from the US and one girl is from Australia. She is the first solo girl traveler I have met so far! She has been at it for four and a half months now and tells me it is the time of her life. That was VERY nice to hear...because spending a day at an amazing festival and not having anyone to share the memories with put me in a bit of a funk. It was fate that we are bunk mates now, and she has got my spirits back up! Tonight the six of us are going to go the Delirium Cafe. It is one of the must see stops in Brussels because there are over 2,000 different types of beer available.

On a different note, yesterday I forgot for a second about the French thing and offered to take a picture of a group of people because there was the one odd man out not being able to be photographed with the rest of the group. Well they thought that I was nuts at first, but then embraced my gesture and I took their picture. Afterwards they wanted photos with me! Why, I do not know. But before each one we chanted, "Un Deux Trois Who Ha!" Say WHAT?! The whole time none of us could speak to each other, however a smile worked wonders! (I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true.)


I am looking forward to the upcoming "Dose of Happiness!" EuroFeria was WILD! So get ready...

1 comment:

  1. What a great & gutsy adventure you are taking yourself on. I am sure you will never forget the experiences you are having. ~ just as the many people you meet along your travels will never forget the pretty American that made them smile! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete