Sunday, May 23, 2010

Towers, Bridges, and Museums, Oh My

In London the weather is usually cloudy with a chance of showers. However for the past few days there has been nothing but sunshine. So I have been taking advantage of this unheard of weather.

I went to the Tower of London. It is 100% the most touristy thing I have done thus far. The tower (I say tower, but it is a big collection of towers, gardens, churches, and now gift shops) was built in 1078 to hold prisoners. If you were a prisoner there, you were going to get beheaded. Inside of these towers, I got to see torture devises, armor, and lots of pretty crowns and jewels of the kings and queens. It was nice, but no great shakes. I personally do not think it was worth the price of entry. This picture is of a guard who gets paid to just stand in costume, excuse me, uniform, all day.

























Next I crossed the famous Tower Bridge. It is the most beautiful bridge I have ever crossed :)



















From there I crossed another bridge. Clearly I did a lot of bridge crossing. Harry Potter fans - THE MILLENNIUM BRIDGE! Not as spectacular as the Tower Bridge, but still nice.


















On the other side of the bridge is the Tate Modern Museum.



















Inside this museum is the strangest most abstract art I have seen. For example, there was an experimental film titled, Blood and Feathers part 2. I tried to find it on Youtube, but no luck. It is a woman, Ana Mendieta, standing in a field, nude, naturally. She then picks up a bucket of blood and begins to poor it all over herself. When she is covered from head to toe in blood, without skipping a beat, she immediately lays down into a pile of feathers and rolls around. It was interesting, very interesting, to say it simply. I left the museum feeling much more cultured than when I entered. The most structured part of the whole museum was the Andy Warhol room...


















That night I enjoyed my first hostel. It was hot. I met a lot of people who participated in the Smile Project! Everyone there was very into it, which of course makes me smile!

Song of the Day: Wilco - I'll Fight

Also, one thing that will always make me smile is British Children with AMAZING accents. It is the cutest thing seeing kids in their school uniforms chatting it up at Museums!
I really hope that does not come off as creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment