Sunday, May 16, 2010

London Calling

I am offcially in London! All my life I have been asked if I was born in London or conceived in London, if I have a sister named Paris, or my favorite...if I have a brother named Compton. I always answer no, and then simply say, ''London is my great-grandmothers maiden name.'' Since I have arrived in London however, everyone that I have introduced myself to has responded differently than people in the US. ''Your name is London, and you are in London!'' And then there is laughter and smiles because of the irony. After hearing my name, a protester in Parliament Square got down on one knee with his guitar in hand, and played me an original song about the irony of my name. It was sweet.

The little things:
1. Crossing the street - Traffic comes in the opposite direction and cars turn from lanes that I am not used to. If you walk around London the same way you walk around NY, it would not be pretty.
2. The computer keyboard - I am using one now, and things are in different places. The @ sign is very well hidden.
3. Street lights go GREEN - RED - YELLOW - Yellow lights do not mean slow down, they mean get ready your lane is about to move.
4. Money Exchange - I got schooled in the money department, which is NOT COOL. I go to a legit money exchange, assuming all of the conversion rates from $ to £ are the same, but no they are not. Note: Now I know and I will never get jipped like that again.
5. The Bus - I found out that the bus drivers job is not to check tickets. If you show them a ticket they laugh. So what does that mean, Free Bus Baby!

One not so little thing:
THE PARLIAMENT IS AMAZING!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting to London, London! Hope this is the
    start of a wonderful adventure for you and all of your followers! This
    Blog is certainly an interesting beginning! Cheers & Love AZ Barbara

    ReplyDelete