Tuesday, May 18, 2010

So much walking

The lovely thing about NY is that most of the city streets run like a checkerboard. In London, there is no rhyme or reason for how the streets run. Also, the name of a street can change after one block. Therefore I have walked a lot (in circles sometimes) because of this. However, getting lost in a city that you have never been to before can have some perks. I somehow made my way to Buckingham Palace! It is beautiful and huge and gold and filled with tourists taking pictures of everything from the magnificent gates to blades of grass. I also found myself in front of the National Gallery, where I got to see paintings by Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, and Degas. The museum was filled interesting people and with many students from all around Europe between the ages of 3 - 18. Almost every room that I walked into there were students led by a professor of some sort explaining in detail the paintings surrounding them. In one room, students were giving a presentation on a painting to the rest of their class. The focus on art that they have in the education system, I applaud!

On another note, because I have been walking so much I have been listening to music CONSTANTLY, so I have decided to write a song of the day. Today I have 2 because I did not write one yesterday.
Both by Okkervil River: Lost Coastlines and Unless It's Kicks

The first SMILE video of London hits the blog tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. i am so excited for you lo!! i miss you so much and i am so excited to follow you on your big adventure!! i am so jealous as i will be sitting in classrooms for another year!! london is definitely my favorite place i have ever been to, and i hope i can return soon..maybe even while you are there!! i love you and i wish you the best!!

    ReplyDelete